In just a moment, your whole life can change. With it, so do the lives of your family, friends, colleagues, employers, and more. When a passing car drifts into your lane, a faulty step causes a fall, or your trusted physician ignores an important symptom, an injury can occur and you may be left to pick up the pieces. While it can feel overwhelming and difficult, there are legal options that can help you seek justice for your injuries and obtain compensation to ease the mounting medical, personal, and financial burdens. Personal injury cases allow victims to hold the negligent parties responsible for their actions, and a skilled legal team can help offer victims the guidance and action they need to move forward with their lives.
The Fairfax personal injury lawyers at Greenspun Shapiro PC has helped many individuals do just that. Our experienced attorneys serve clients in Fairfax and all over Virginia, Maryland, and D.C. by offering innovative and aggressive representation. We work hard to protect your rights and help obtain positive legal outcomes for victims and their families. If you or someone you love has suffered an injury due to another person’s carelessness or negligence, we may be able to help. Call our Fairfax office at (703) 352-0100, or take a moment to fill out our online contact form for a prompt response from a member of our team.
Types of Injury Cases Our Fairfax Legal Team Handles
Our personal injury lawyers in Fairfax can assist in a range of accident and injury situations. In general, a personal injury case seeks to obtain justice and compensation after one person’s inappropriate and unsafe action (or, in some cases, inaction) directly causes harm to another person. The legal team at Greenspun Shapiro PC has extensive experience in many of these areas, and we have helped Virginia, Maryland, and D.C. clients hold negligent parties accountable for their behavior in a wide variety of legal cases, including situations involving:
- Motor vehicle accidents. After an accident involving another car, truck, bicycle, motorcycle, or pedestrian, it may be possible to pursue a legal case. Often, these types of accidents are caused by operators who are impaired, distracted, fatigued, or traveling outside the rules of the law. In these cases, and more, victims may be entitled to compensation.
- Medical malpractice. Patients put a large amount of faith and trust in their healthcare providers. When those providers fail in their duty to act in a reasonable manner to provide quality care, they may be held accountable. Many of these cases stem from misdiagnosises, failure to diagnose, surgical mistakes, and more.
- Product liability. Manufacturers are required to extensively test their products during production to ensure the safety of the public. When they fail to do so, they can be held accountable for any injuries or illness that comes as a result of their faulty product.
- Premises liability. Similar to product manufacturers, property owners have a duty to maintain premises that are safe for the public to use. If victims are injured when a property owner knowingly disregards threats to safety within their property, they may be held accountable. Common premises liability cases include slip and falls, dog bites, and more.
- Wrongful death. Sadly, some accidents and negligent behavior results in the death of the victim. The families of the deceased do have a right to pursue justice and seek compensation for their loss and grief. While nothing can bring a loved one back, wrongful death cases may offer families some closure and security to help them move forward with their lives.
- Professional negligence. When clients of any kind retain professional services, they expect and deserve to be treated with the full attention and comprehensive care of those providers. When careless attorneys and other professionals fail to uphold that duty, their former clients have a right to have their interests renewed and protected.
If you or someone you love has suffered in one of these situations, or even if you aren’t sure if your matter is something we handle, do not hesitate to reach out to the experienced personal injury lawyers at Greenspun Shapiro PC. Call our Fairfax office today at (703) 352-0100 to start learning more about your rights.
Types of Compensation Available to Virginia Personal Injury Victims
The state of Virginia recognizes the many challenges faced by accident and injury victims, and the law is often favorable when determining compensation. Unlike many other states, Virginia does not limit the amount of compensation that can be awarded to a victim for both economic and non-economic damages. Typically, victims may be able to pursue compensation for:
- Medical bills.
- Lost wages.
- Future medical bills.
- Future lost wages.
- Pain and suffering.
- Therapies and adaptive equipment.
- Punitive damages (in rare cases).
There are two exceptions which would limit a settlement amount. Medical malpractice cases are capped at $2 million, and punitive damages are limited to $350,000 regardless of the severity of the injury.
How Our Fairfax Lawyers Can Help Pursue a Personal Injury Case
Even if you feel your case is fairly straightforward, personal injury matters in Virginia, Maryland, and D.C. can quickly become both contentious and complicated. For example, in Virginia, while the compensation rules are fairly lenient, the state takes a very firm stance on fault. A victim can only obtain compensation if it is determined that the responsible party is completely at fault for the accident or injury. If the victim played any role at all in the accident—even if he shares only a small percentage of the blame—he may not recover anything from the negligent party. This is known as contributory negligence. Thus, it is important to have an experienced and skilled representative to help present a comprehensive and thorough case on your behalf.
The lawyers at Greenspun Shapiro PC utilize the latest industry technology and years of experience to help victims navigate the legal system to help ensure they receive the maximum amount of compensation they deserve. Our Fairfax personal injury lawyers have extensive experience helping victims with many aspects of a personal injury case, including:
- Determining fault.
- Negotiating for compensation.
- Dealing with insurance companies.
- Meeting court deadlines and filing proper paperwork.
After an injury, victims and their families should be able to focus on what really matters—swift and complete recovery of the physical and emotional wounds. The pressures of mounting bills, missed work, loss of income, and legal issues do not have be addressed alone.
If you or someone you love has suffered injuries due to another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to file a claim. Take a moment to fill out our online contact form to hear back from an experienced member of the legal team at Greenspun Shapiro PC, or call our Fairfax law office to learn more today at (703) 352-0100.