After a personal injury accident, it is common to feel overwhelmed with coping with serious injuries, the inability to work, and the changes in your life. On top of this, you will not have your usual wages to count on to pay your living expenses and expensive medical bills while you are off work recovering. You know you should file a claim for compensation with the negligent party’s insurance company, but may be tempted to handle settling your claim yourself to save money. However, this would be a bad decision and may actually cost you money in the long run.
Reasons Why You Need to Hire an Attorney to Negotiate Your Personal Injury Claim Settlement
First of all, you should not be worried about the cost of hiring an experienced personal injury attorney. Most lawyers handle these cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that you only owe a fee if your attorney wins your case in a settlement or at trial. In addition, the attorney fees are taken out of the settlement, so you do not have to pay attorney fees up front. Even more importantly, retaining an attorney can strengthen your case and make it more likely that you will receive the compensation that you deserve. Here are some of the ways that an attorney can help:
- Investigation. Your attorney will conduct a thorough investigation of your accident to prove how it happened and that the negligent party was at fault in causing your injuries. He may visit the scene of your accident, interview witnesses, collect pictures and videotapes, and obtain documents and other information from the negligent business or individual.
- Knowledge of laws and procedures. If you retain an attorney who is experienced in handling your type of personal injury claim, he will understand the laws and procedures that govern your case. This includes knowing the time limit that you have to sue, the types of compensation you may receive, and the procedural rules you must follow when pursuing your civil case in court.
- Value of your claim. An attorney who has a track record of success in settling and trying personal injury cases will have the experience and understanding to determine the true value of your claim. This is often substantially more than what the insurance adjuster for the negligent party claims.
- Liable parties. In some personal injury cases, more than one party is found to be negligent and responsible for compensating the victim. Your attorney will be able to identify all the potentially liable parties in your case and attempt to negotiate settlements with them so that you are fully compensated for your injuries.
- Settlement and litigation. An attorney will be skilled in negotiating settlements of claims like yours and will have strategies to defeat the insurance company’s tactics to reduce or deny your claim. If the insurance company refuses to be reasonable, he can file a lawsuit on your behalf.
Do you need to file a claim for compensation for your injuries following a personal injury accident? Call our office today to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation to learn more about our experience handling these claims and how we can assist you.