Every day, people in Virginia find themselves facing legal issues, which come about suddenly and in unexpected circumstances. Whether you or those close to you have been charged with a crime, were injured by someone else’s negligence, are facing litigation, or any number of other matters, these problems have to be addressed with skill and energy. Most people have little experience with the legal system, are not sure where to begin, and are overwhelmed. How do you find the right lawyer? Do you even need a lawyer?
At Greenspun Shapiro PC, we understand that every legal matter can have serious and long-lasting consequences. We are a firm dedicated to the personalized and thorough representation of every client. Our five attorneys have made experience, integrity, and dedication the cornerstone of our commitment. Call our Fairfax office today at 703-352-0100 to talk to an experienced member of our team. We can help answer your questions and get started protecting your rights.
Legal Services Our Fairfax Law Firm Provides
From seemingly simple and straightforward matters to complex and high profile cases, the legal team at Greenspun Shapiro PC has the experience and dedication to help you achieve the best possible legal outcome and to meet your personal goals. We have helped Virginia clients in a wide range of legal matters, including:
Criminal Law – From traffic and misdemeanor cases to serious felonies, our legal team offers clients dedicated, thorough, and vigorous representation. We believe in every person’s right to their day in court, and we work tirelessly to prepare the most comprehensive defense possible. Our team has represented over 80 clients facing manslaughter or murder charges. We understand the importance of every case, and we know what it takes to be successful. We will fight for you at every phase so you can move forward with your life, including handling the sealing and expunging of criminal records. Some of the criminal law matters that we handle include:
- Drug Offenses. Drug offenses, such as marijuana possession and sale, drug possession, and distribution, sale, and manufacture of controlled substances are serious crimes that can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony in Virginia. For more serious offenses, a person can be sentenced to decades in prison.
- Fraud Crimes. Fraud offenses in the Commonwealth of Virginia include counterfeiting, bank fraud, mail and wire fraud, cyber crimes, identify theft, and email and computer hacking. These crimes are often felonies with punishments that include 10 or more years in prison and a hefty fine.
- Sex Crimes. Sexual assault, prostitution, rape, child pornography, and computer solicitation of a minor are a few common sex crimes that are misdemeanor or felony offenses in Virginia. In addition to severe penalties, a person may be required to register as a sex offender on the Virginia Sex Offender Registry.
- Violent Crimes. Assault and battery and domestic assault are misdemeanor offenses, but other more serious crimes, such as malicious and aggravated malicious wounding, DUI maiming, gun and weapon offenses, and arson, are usually felonies. Punishments can include a lengthy jail or prison time and fines.
- Murder. Capital murder, first-degree murder, second-degree murder, and felony murder are some of the most serious crimes in the Commonwealth of Virginia. If convicted, a person may face extremely harsh punishments, such as the death penalty or life in prison.
- Theft & Trespassing. Trespassing is a misdemeanor offense, but burglary, robbery, larceny, and shoplifting are frequently charged as felonies in our commonwealth. A fine, jail sentence, and lengthy prison sentence, which can include life in prison, are some of the penalties a person may face upon conviction.
- Protective Orders. Emergency, preliminary, and permanent protective orders are three types of protective orders that can be obtained in Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Court and General District Court. Violation of a protection order is a misdemeanor offense with a possible sentence of up to 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine.
- White Collar Crimes. White-collar crimes are serious non-violent crimes, such as conspiracy, embezzlement, money laundering, forgery, identity theft, credit card theft, tax evasion, bank fraud, and mail and wire fraud. Penalties can include a prison sentence of up to 30 years and a maximum fine of $250,000.
Traffic Law – While some people regard traffic violations as simple matters, they often have far more serious implications. Traffic offenses can result in jail time, loss of driving privileges, monetary fines, and other severe consequences. Our experienced lawyers help protect your rights in traffic matters, including:
- DUI. A first offense DUI and DWI is often charged as a misdemeanor in Virginia, but subsequent convictions can be charged as a felony. In addition, there are other DUI-related offenses, such as Underage DUI, DUI Maiming, DUI Manslaughter, and Boating While Intoxicated, that can result in a jail or prison sentence upon conviction.
- Reckless Driving. There are approximately 16 offenses that are considered reckless driving, such as driving 20 miles over the posted speed limit, passing a stopped school bus, improper passing, failing to signal properly, and failing to yield the right of way. This is a Class 1 misdemeanor that can result in a jail sentence, large fine, permanent criminal record, and points on a person’s driving record.
- Driving on a Suspended License. A person’s driver’s license can be suspended for DUI, failing to pay court fines, not maintaining required car insurance, reckless driving, being delinquent in child support payments, and many other reasons. Driving on a suspended license is a Class 1 misdemeanor with a jail sentence, $2,500 fine, driver’s license suspension, and impoundment of a person’s vehicle as potential penalties.
- Hit and Run. It is a crime in Virginia to fail to stop at a scene of an accident that resulted in injuries or damage to property. In most cases, hit and run charges are felonies that can result in a prison sentence of up to 10 years and a fine not to exceed $2,500.
- Speeding. Speeding is a serious traffic offense, and the punishments can include a large fine and points on a person’s driving record. If a person has a large number of demerit points on his driving record, his driver’s license may also be suspended.
- Traffic Infractions. Failing to come to a complete stop at a traffic light or stop sign, driving too closely, making improper turns, improperly passing, and illegally making a U-turn are some of the traffic infractions that can result in a large fine and points on a person’s driving record. Other offenses, such as reckless driving, hit and run, and driving on a suspended or revoked license are misdemeanor offenses that can result in a jail sentence and permanent criminal record.
- Driver’s License Reinstatement. If a person’s driver’s license has been suspended or revoked, it may be possible to have it reinstated once the revocation or suspension time period has passed and certain procedures are followed.
In addition to criminal and traffic law offenses, our experienced attorneys handle the following types of legal matters:
Personal Injury and Wrongful Death – Though accidents happen every day, many could have been prevented by simply paying attention. When someone else’s negligence causes you or someone you love injury or death, the negligent party can and should be held accountable. The lawyers at Greenspun Shapiro PC help injured victims find the sense of justice and obtain the compensation they deserve after car accidents, slip and falls, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice, defective product incidents, premises liability accidents, and more.
Civil Litigation – Civil lawsuits are often emotionally charged, time-consuming, and stressful for everyone involved. When it comes to these cases, our lawyers are here to offer clients both honest feedback and dedicated service. We are extremely knowledgeable about the civil litigation process. We are here to help you gain a clear understanding of your options and to thoughtfully and vigorously pursue the path that will help you achieve your best possible outcome when it comes to business disputes, construction disputes, personal disputes, and more.
Appeals – In some cases, it is possible to appeal a negative court outcome. Our legal team can help you decide if an appeal is appropriate in your case and how best to proceed, from simple appeals to those all the way to the federal courts. Our firm is based on the concept of dedication and innovation, and we use both to fully examine each case to give our clients the most effective argument for an appeal.
Administrative Hearings – Just because an issue isn’t being addressed in a court, it doesn’t mean you don’t need an attorney. At Greenspun Shapiro PC, we also represent professionals in administrative hearings. We regularly support the interests of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, teachers, students, parents, and more. We can help you examine your situation and organize effective arguments to help you meet your goals.
Protective Orders – If you or someone you love feels they need legal protection from another individual, protective orders may be necessary. Our legal team can help clients do the necessary research and paperwork to obtain protective orders in court. We can help with emergency, preliminary, and permanent protective orders to keep you safe and protect your personal rights. Or, if you are the subject of a protective order, we can help you take the steps to contest and defeat a protective order petition. These are serious matters that impact many of your rights and should be prosecuted or defended vigorously.
Why Retain Our Fairfax Criminal Defense & Injury Firm?
Sometimes the legal system and the options for representation can feel overwhelming. How can you know if a law firm and its team will be the right fit for you? At Greenspun Shapiro PC, we try to make that decision a simple one. Our team is dedicated to providing the highest level of legal service to every client. When you retain our legal team, you’ll find:
- A collaborative, comprehensive team. Greenspun Shapiro PC employs five attorneys. The size of our firm allows us to offer every client both the attention they deserve and the wide variety of legal experience to handle routine to complex cases. Our attorneys come from different backgrounds and experiences, offering a variety of perspectives that complement one another. We work together to understand a case from every perspective so there are no surprises.
- Diligent, complete preparation. In addition to taking advantage of the experience of our lawyers, we are dedicated to preparing a case thoroughly and with imagination. We offer a full toolbox of ideas and steps to ensure every client the best possible outcome. Our firm fully uses available technology to efficiently address what is needed.
- Clear expectations. The lawyers at Greenspun Shapiro PC are honest, objective, and relatable. We offer our clients a realistic view of each situation and discuss all the potential outcomes. We work with you to help you become empowered and informed clients. We know that success is measured differently in every case, so we strive to learn your needs and help you understand how to meet them.
- Aggressive advocacy. While we try to resolve your legal matters as quickly and efficiently as possible, we also stand firm on what is fair. If the right settlement or plea is not offered, our team is not afraid to aggressively defend your rights at trial. Our lawyers have positive working relationships with the prosecuting attorneys and judges. They understand and respect our dedication to our vigorous advocacy of every client.
Call Our Fairfax Law Office Today
At Greenspun Shapiro PC, we have worked hard to build a law practice based on integrity, experience, and innovation. Our record of success speaks for itself. We have achieved some top honors in the legal industry, but more importantly, we have helped clients just like you approach their legal issues with confidence and peace of mind. When you call our office, you can expect to find a professional, respectful team who can answer your questions and help you determine how to move forward with your legal matter. Call our Fairfax office today at 703-352-0100, or take a moment to fill out our online contact form for a prompt response from a member of our team.
From our office in Fairfax, we proudly serve clients all over Northern Virginia, including Fairfax County, Alexandria, Prince William County, Arlington County, Loudoun County, and Fairfax City. We also represent those facing matters in U.S. District Court of the Eastern District Court of Virginia, the District of Columbia, and Maryland.