The legal penalties for conspiracy to distribute drugs are the same as the legal penalties for the crime which is the object of the conspiracy. According to Virginia Code §18.2-256, someone who conspires to commit a drug-related offense or violate the Drug Control Act faces imprisonment and a fine that cannot be less than the minimum punishment nor more than the maximum punishment would be if the crime were committed.
Fines and Prison Time for Conspiracy to Distribute Drugs
The potential consequences for conspiracy to distribute drugs depend on the specific drug you allegedly conspired to distribute and whether this was your first or subsequent offense. For first offense conspiracy to distribute:
- Schedule I and II drugs. The penalty is 5 to 40 years in prison and a fine of up to $500,000. Schedule I and II drugs include heroin, ecstasy, LSD, cocaine, morphine, Ritalin, PCP, and methamphetamine.
- Schedule III drugs. The penalty is up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $2,500. Schedule III drugs include anabolic steroids, codeine, some barbiturates, and depressants.
- Schedule IV drugs. The penalty is up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $2,500. Drugs in this schedule include Darvon, Valium, Xanax, and other tranquilizers.
- Schedule V drugs. The penalty is up to 12 months in jail and a fine of up to $2,500. Schedule V drugs include codeine-based cough medicines and other over-the-counter medications.
The potential penalties are more significant for:
- Second or subsequent violations of the law
- Large volume drug dealers
- Transporting controlled substances
Whether or not the conspiracy to distribute drugs resulted in the actual distribution of drugs, you face serious and potentially life-changing consequences. A criminal charge is not the same as a conviction or sentence, however. You may fight the charges against you, and our Fairfax criminal defense lawyers are here to help you. Call us or fill out our online contact form to have us contact you for a free, no-obligation consultation about your defense.